Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 1168Any problems running Templot on Windows 7 OS at 64 bit operation?
author remove search highlighting

posted: 14 Jul 2010 16:06

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi All,

Due to another requirement, I have just bought a very upgraded PC which runs Windows 7 O.S. on 64 bit operation, and am thinking of loading TEMPLOT on board.

Up till now I have been using Templot on Windows XP OS at 32 bit operation with no problems, other than my own finger trouble.:)

Will TEMPLOT run successfully with Windows 7 on 64 bit operation ? :?

Has anyone had any problems, other than those of installing a local printer first, and installing the program at the root of the selected hard drive ? :?

Best regards.

Brian Nicholls.

posted: 14 Jul 2010 18:25

Barry Yardley

Birmingham - United Kingdom

Brian,

I've been using Templot on Windows 7 64 bit for the last 3 months with no problems at all.

Best regards

Barry Yardley

posted: 14 Jul 2010 19:14

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Barry Yardley wrote:
Brian,

I've been using Templot on Windows 7 64 bit for the last 3 months with no problems at all.

Best regards

Barry Yardley

Hi Barry,

Many thanks for your response.

It is comforting to know of someone that is running the OS & system in question and is not having any problems. :)

That’s great news. :thumb:

Thanks again Barry.

All the best.

Brian Nicholls.

posted: 14 Aug 2010 13:56

David Smith

Barry Yardley wrote:
Brian,

Best regards

Barry Yardley
Barry,

Pug 0.91c will not install and run on my Windows 7 64 bit system (Windows 7 Ultimate on a HP dv6-3006TX laptop) matter what I do. How did you get it to run? Running o.74b is no problem at all.

0.91c will run on a Windows 7 32 bit system (desktop computer) with no problems.

Regards,

David.

posted: 14 Aug 2010 14:28

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

Have you got a printer installed? 0.91c needs to have at least one printer installed - even if it's just a virtual one.

posted: 14 Aug 2010 15:06

David Smith

Connected to local printers, installed printer drivers, but still no go. Have tried just about everything but still getting nowhere.

richard_t wrote:
Have you got a printer installed? 0.91c needs to have at least one printer installed - even if it's just a virtual one.

posted: 14 Aug 2010 15:28

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

David Smith wrote:
Connected to local printers, installed printer drivers, but still no go. Have tried just about everything but still getting nowhere.
Hi David,

Can you clarify whether it is the downloaded delivery file which won't run?

Or the 091c program itself after being installed?

If the former, do you get as far as seeing the dark blue screen with a dialog in the centre?

If the latter, how far do you get before it fails? Do you see the "Ready, Steady, Click..."?

What are the exact words of any messages which Windows displays?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Aug 2010 03:15

Martin Wynne

Hi David,

This isn't a solution to your problem, but it will get you running with a later version of Templot than 074b.

If 074b runs, I'm confident 082d will also run. You can download 082d from:

http://www.templot.com/tug/templot_pug_082d_setup.exe

More about 082d (applies to 091c also) at: http://www.templot.com/martweb/pug_info_2.htm

If 082d runs, but 091c doesn't, the problems can only be:

1. lack of a default printer. If you have recently installed a printer driver, maybe it isn't set as the default, or maybe a Windows restart is needed to recognise it.

or 2. related to multiple monitors. Check the setup for multiple monitors in the Display Properties.

Why 091c is less tolerant of a missing printer than 074b is something of a mystery, since the code is identical in both -- only the compiler version is different. But it appears to be an established fact.

In the next Pug Templot will default to PDF output on startup (at 260mm x 180mm, 600dpi), so the problem of a missing printer should be avoided.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Aug 2010 09:36

David Smith

Martin,

Downloaded and installed 082d successfully. 082d ran without any issues.

Have checked the default printers and reset the default to the local printer.

The computer is currently set up for a single monitor (inbuilt display).

I'll try 091c again.

Regards,

David.

posted: 15 Aug 2010 09:54

David Smith

Martin,

Reinstalled 091c and had success this time. Everything appears to be working. The initial problem may have occured due to the default printer defaulting to the fax printer on the network server rather than the actual printer that was installed on the computer.

I also checked if the switchable graphics was causing the problem as the laptop switches between the Intel integrated graphics or the Radeon graphics card dependent on whether it is running on battery power or not. There were no apparent issues.

I'll now copy over all the box files created with 091c.

Regards,

David.

posted: 15 Aug 2010 10:14

Martin Wynne

David Smith wrote:
Reinstalled 091c and had success this time.
Hi David,

:thumb:

By the way, this is the first time you have mentioned that you had the printer defaulting to a network printer. If you had mentioned that in your first message, I could have told you the problem straight away.

All -- please, please, when you ask for help, give all the details. :)

The download note at: topic 330

says:

Just a reminder that Templot needs a default local printer -- not a network printer -- to be able to run.

I will now change that to:

Just a reminder that Templot needs a default local printer -- not a network printer -- to be able to run.

:)

I agree however that this is a ridiculous situation. Templot should be able to start regardless of the printer configuration. In the next Pug I hope it will. 

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 Aug 2010 12:54

David Smith

Martin,

I had made an assumption that the default printer was the actual printer that I had installed prior to trying to upgrade to 091c as other applications printed to the printer successfully. But, there were a lot of Windows updates that may have changed some of the settings/defaults. However, I have just been playing around with multiple monitors and can report that there are no issues. 091c works well. :)

Regards,

David.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Any problems running Templot on Windows 7 OS at 64 bit operation?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020