topic: 1234Regauge trackplan
author remove search highlighting

posted: 6 Sep 2010 15:42

istvan.david

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin!

Is there a way to change the gauge for an existing trackplan and resize it accordingly,
without redrawing everything from scratch?

br
  István

posted: 6 Sep 2010 16:14

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

istvan.david wrote:
Is there a way to change the gauge for an existing trackplan and resize it accordingly, without redrawing everything from scratch?
Hi István,

To change a track plan to a different gauge or scale:

First select all the templates as a group (CTRL+A). Then go to the full gauges list (gauge > other gauges... menu item). Select the new gauge/scale setting you want on the list, or create a custom setting. Then click the convert group button at the top of the dialog.

If you are converting between the exact-scale gauges, e.g. from P4 to S7, the conversion should be fine. :)

For other conversions there's a bit of a snag. :( If you change the gauge:scale ratio, for example going from P4 to EM, it is mathematically impossible to make a perfect conversion. The lead lengths of turnouts and diamonds will change, and as a result you may find some slight gaps or overlaps between the pointwork templates which will need tidying up after doing the conversion.

If you are making a big change of scale:gauge ratio, for example from standard-gauge to narrow-gauge, the lead lengths will change significantly, and it may be a lot less trouble to start again.

Plain track templates should always convert ok.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 6 Sep 2010 17:21

istvan.david

Martin Wynne wrote:
istvan.david wrote:
Is there a way to change the gauge for an existing trackplan and resize it accordingly, without redrawing everything from scratch?
Hi István,

To change a track plan to a different gauge or scale:

First select all the templates as a group (CTRL+A). Then go to the full gauges list (template > gauge and scale > other gauges... menu item). Select the new gauge/scale setting you want on the list, or create a custom setting. Then click the convert group button at the top of the dialog.

If you are converting between the exact-scale gauges, e.g. from P4 to S7, the conversion should be fine. :)

For other conversions there's a bit of a snag. :( If you change the gauge:scale ratio, for example going from P4 to EM, it is mathematically impossible to make a perfect conversion. The lead lengths of turnouts and diamonds will change, and as a result you may find some slight gaps or overlaps between the pointwork templates which will need tidying up after doing the conversion.

If you are making a big change of scale:gauge ratio, for example from standard-gauge to narrow-gauge, the lead lengths will change significantly, and it may be a lot less trouble to start again.

Plain track templates should always convert ok.

regards,

Martin.

Martin,

I am trying to convert from N to HO. I'll try it later today. This is the plan I am doing (I have designed
it in N scale, but i would like to see how much space it will take in HO):

Attachment: attach_862_1234_Layout_Plan_N.box 219
Last edited on 6 Sep 2010 17:21 by istvan.david
posted: 6 Sep 2010 17:57

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

istvan.david wrote:
I am trying to convert from N to HO. I'll try it later today.
Hi István,

N-NMRA (1:160) conversion to H0-NMRA should work fine with no problems, as both are close to exact-scale track gauge.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 6 Sep 2010 19:26

istvan.david

Thanks for the quick replies. I wish all customer service would be as fast as you :-)

Martin Wynne wrote:
istvan.david wrote:
I am trying to convert from N to HO. I'll try it later today.
Hi István,

N-NMRA (1:160) conversion to H0-NMRA should work fine with no problems, as both are close to exact-scale track gauge.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Regauge trackplan
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020