author remove search highlighting

posted: 27 Jul 2008 00:36

pimin

Shelton (near The Sound) - Washington USA

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Version 0.91c on XP SP3

I put together a #8 3-way switch as a simple starting point to practice with (and it might be useful on the club layout??).  After watching the 3-way video (about 10k times :), I got a V-crossing for where the two turnout crossing rails actually cross.  The only way I could figure out to eliminate the crossing under the V was to make two extra copies of each switch and blank one to just past the V and overall shorten the other one.  Then eliminate the crossing rail from the third copy.  That works but, it seems really messy.  The video didn't show how to do that.  Is there a better way to do this? 

This has probably been covered before but, I couldn't find it.  I probably didn't use the right verbage to identify the problem.  Apologies if I'm stumbling over some "obviously a new guy" problem.

Regards,
Pimin  (there are too many Paul's in here :)

posted: 28 Jul 2008 22:10

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

pimin wrote:
The only way I could figure out to eliminate the crossing under the V was to make two extra copies of each switch and blank one to just past the V and overall shorten the other one. Then eliminate the crossing rail from the third copy. That works but, it seems really messy. The video didn't show how to do that. Is there a better way to do this?
Hi Pimin,

No, you are not doing anything wrong. The basic way to build up partial templates is to copy the base template, omit unwanted rails, then either blank off from the datum end, or change the overall length at the far end, or both. Then store & background for the partial template created.

do > omit rails and joint marks... menu item.

CTRL+F3 blanking mouse action.

F4 overall length mouse action.

It can be an interesting challenge to create a finished formation with the minimum number of partial templates. :) Bear in mind though, that the object of the exercise is to produce a working construction template, rather than a perfect detailed drawing. It doesn't actually matter when you come to build track on the template if there are unbroken rails under the crossing, provided you can see where all the rails go.

You can download the file for a fully-worked set of 3-way tandem turnouts from the Samples and examples area. Hold down the SHIFT key or put the CAPS LOCK on, then run the mouse pointer over the template name labels to see all the partial templates.

By the way, you have used the term "switch" to mean an entire turnout (rather in the way that some UK modellers use the term "point" to mean an entire turnout).

If you do that you are likely to get very confused in Templot, because in Templot a switch is the moving points section only:

startup_pad.pngstartup_pad.png

Templot is about track, so it uses the terms used by permanent way engineers rather than the terms used by railway operating and signalling staff.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 Jul 2008 22:55

pimin

Shelton (near The Sound) - Washington USA

I was confused long before I got to Templot and the differences between British, European and NA terminology.

As in flying; any landing you can walk away from is a good one. In Templot; any drawing you can successfully use to construct the trackwork is a good one!!

Can you add "make a good V crossing at the rail crossing" to the list of requested improvements???

Thanks for the response, good to know I'm not as lost as I thought.

Pimin

posted: 29 Jul 2008 00:43

Dave Summers

Urchfont, Devizes - United Kingdom

pimin wrote:
As in flying; any landing you can walk away from is a good one.
Totally off topic!
As a professional aviator for 36 years with thousands of landings to my name, I can assure you that this is one of life's great myths. I have walked away from every landing apart from one. Some of the landings were not good. A few were b. awful. I'm embarrassed to say that some of those were my 'handiwork'. My passengers are pleased that I have improved over the years.
Cheers
Dave (in Brussels and off to Bombay after breakfast tomorrow.)

ps apart from one? This one actually when 4 fire engines chased us down the runway on landing during training at Bournemouth. On the grass at the side of the runway was the only safe place to be:

baron2.jpgbaron2.jpg
Attachment: attach_322_506_baron2.jpg 191

posted: 29 Jul 2008 01:20

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

Continuing off topic

The late Malcolm Cross was said to do railway modelling during long flights. Isn't that what the autopilot is for?

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Fixing crossing rails in a 3-way turnout
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020