topic: 745Printer Callibaration
author remove search highlighting

posted: 1 Mar 2009 12:32

dessire_luvals

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Some advice please if possible. I am trying to print a first set of templates as per the attached screen grab, the first four rows are the ones I'm interested in.

I have callibrated my Dell 1720 laser printer though I do seem to get a +/- .25mm variation of the 250mm horizontal.  Anyway by the time a lay out the templates I seem to accumulated an 8mm gap between C3 and C11. I assume this is the first point where horizontal and vertical ratios conflict with each other.

I can't see anyway to better calibrate the printer other than print two long rows of templates and work the difference back, any thoughts?

Thanks

Russell
Attachment: attach_499_745_Presentation1.jpg 161

posted: 1 Mar 2009 13:40

Brian Tulley

United Kingdom

Hi Russell,

I had a similar problem when first starting out in Templot - the problem is the laser printer. These types of printer tend to heat the paper, causing errors when trying to calibrate accurately. I suspect the only real solution is to use an inkjet printer I'm afraid.

Brian

posted: 1 Mar 2009 14:06

dessire_luvals

Brian Tulley wrote:
Hi Russell,

I had a similar problem when first starting out in Templot - the problem is the laser printer. These types of printer tend to heat the paper, causing errors when trying to calibrate accurately. I suspect the only real solution is to use an inkjet printer I'm afraid.

Brian

Hi Brian,

That was what I was putting it down to. Perhaps I'll bite the bullet and top up the black ink in the Inkjet.

Russell

posted: 1 Mar 2009 14:07

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Russell,

A wrong printer calibration won't produce gaps between the pages -- everything would still fit together properly, but the track sizes would be wrong.

As Brian has suggested, I think your problem is the printer. Laser printers heat the paper, causing it to shrink and distort slightly. For best results it is better to use an inkjet printer instead. Unfortunately, looking in computer stores recently I see that laser printers seem to be gaining in popularity over inkjets.

A possible solution is to make sure the paper is bone dry before use, for example by storing it near a radiator or in an airing cupboard. You could even try heating it before use, although it may distort afterwards as it returns to room conditions.

Also, using thicker paper seems to help. I always print templates on 160gsm paper, which is almost a thin card. Apart from being more stable the trimmed pages are thick enough to be butted together like tiles, which makes aligning them much easier. But I don't know what thickness your printer would accept.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 1 Mar 2009 14:25

Ashley

I have this problem recently too. This is how I got around it.

I found that I needed to start by laying the templates out from top to bottom, and right to left.

So for me G1 was my first extreme right hand side template. Followed by the subsequent numbers. I laid the first template down, pinned it to some kappa board that I was using as my work area, and then aligned the next template using a long metal drawing board style ruler. I also used a normal 12 inch steel ruler to check that the alignment grid was always at 50mm. As noticed by yourself, the paper can contain a slightly distorted image. This doesn't matter, as long as you register each template in turn and keep measuring that the grid is remaining set. While some errors will creep in, I was able to maintain 1mm =/-0.5mm accuracy.

I use double-sided tape to fix my templates together. Also, I found that it helped to trim the top of the template to allow one to align them together. Obviously, it is much easier to have an A3 inkjet, but needs must etc.

Hope that helps?

posted: 1 Mar 2009 15:26

dessire_luvals

Thanks everybody for advice and comments. I actually found that I didn't have the gap I thought I had but did notice the timbering didn't match from one row of prints to the next where a template overlaps the long edge. I did already trim one long and one short edge of each page to ease the setting out. Everything is laid out now but with some timbering mismatches between the rows, I'll have to live with that.

Once I finish off the other main station i.e. built the slips and shoved the timbers I will use my A3 inkjet instead of the laser. Hang the expense, there's been many hours of my time and Martin's invested in the project to far!

posted: 1 Mar 2009 16:02

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Once I finish off the other main station i.e. built the slips and shoved the timbers I will use my A3 inkjet instead of the laser. Hang the expense, there's been many hours of my time and Martin's invested in the project to far!
If you really want to hang the expense, how about getting the plan printed off professionally on roll paper?  That's certainly what I would do with a plan that size.

Just a thought :)

Paul

posted: 30 Mar 2009 17:30

dessire_luvals

dessire_luvals wrote:
Just thought I'd drop a note to say that printing was succesful on the Inkjet. Thanks everyone for the advice, I will leave the Laser Printer for letters to the bank manager.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Printer Callibaration
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020